“Who’s Your School Breakfast Star?” Writing Contest
Entries for the NSBW 2013 Writing Contest are currently being judged. The winners will be announced on the SNA website by May 1, 2013.
This year, students will have the opportunity to play a starring role in your NSBW celebration. SNA is encouraging students to answer the following questions:
“If you could enjoy school breakfast with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?”
“What healthy school breakfast food would you want to share with them and why?”
Whether they’re dreaming of waffles with Grandpa, fruit with the President, cereal with Justin Beiber, or French toast with Serena Williams, we want to hear about it!
Three national winners will have their submissions published in School Nutrition Magazine and receive special prize packs from SNA!
Entries are due March 31, 2013. Download the submission official form and the student form here.
- The “Who’s Your School Breakfast Star?” Writing Contest has local and national rounds of competition. All entries by students must be made to a local competition (to be organized by and held in schools). Please note that the only way to enter this contest is through a participating school, you cannot enter the national contest directly.
- SNA is encouraging schools across the nation to hold local “Who’s Your School Breakfast Star?” writing contests. School Nutrition Professionals or other participating school officials can enter 3 overall winners per participating school to the national contest.
- Please note that students cannot enter the national contest directly, they must be nominated by a School Nutrition Professional or school official.
- Students write a brief submission answering these questions (less than 100 words each): “If you could enjoy school breakfast with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?” and “What healthy school breakfast food would you want to share with them and why?
- Students (from grades 1-12) should draft their submissions on the official contest entry form. Submissions must be neatly, legibly handwritten or typed.
- 1st Grade students can dictate their submission to a parent or teacher and have it written for them.
- Students are limited to a 100 word maximum in their submissions.
- To judge the national contest, a panel of judges will select three National winners, based on pre-established criteria which will be published as part of the official contest rules.
- Three national winners will have their submissions published in School Nutrition magazine and will receive a prize pack.
- Entries must be original, not plagiarized and not evocative of any existing commercial characters so as not to infringe any copyrights or trademarks.
- Entries are due March 31, 2013.
The method and criteria for judging at the National level will be based on the following criteria:
- Creativity and reasoning why they choose their school breakfast star.
- How healthy their chosen school breakfast is.
- Observation of the maximum word count.
- Accuracy of grammar and spelling.
Student Entry Form (pdf)
Official Entry Form (pdf)
Official Rules (pdf)
Local School Contest Certificate Template (ppt)